Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 22-04-2009, 08:46 PM   #1
Rom
Washmitt Meister

Peugeot 205 Gti Restoration and Build

Thought id put some pics up of my 205. This is a repost from another forum, so some wording may seem out, dates etc.

Ive had it just over 3 years, and in that time ive replaced virtually everything on the car.

Heres it is not long after i got it, gave it a mop, and a polish etc, rest it how it was pretty much.

First jobs were new brakes, lowered the front on OE Bilsteins and springs. General tidying of the car, trying to sort some problems etc.

After about 6 months, i decided i wanted to go Mi power. So sourced an engine, and set about rebuilding it, had it lightend and balanced, everything els ewas new, but standard.

Old engine ready to come out...

New engine ready to go in...

Mi in place...

I soon upgraded to 307 brakes, a set of Gaz coilovers, and rebuilt the ream beam...

This is pretty much how it stayed for a while, i moved to Bristol, and the car got bumped 3 times by idiots who cant drive / park. It slowly got tatty again as i let it go, losing interest everytime someone hit it or broke into it. Front and rear bumpers were broke, the boot trim was cracked. Some bubbles of rust had started above the 3/4 windows, and the windscreen bottom corners.

Then in december just gone, i poked one of the rust bubbles on the drivers side, and it went right through. Was time to decide, keep it, and get it resprayed, or get rid of it.
Well i wasnt bored with driving it, so i decided to keep it. So i set about removing the engine, i decided i was going to take the dash and interior out too, so i could sort some rattles, wiring, etc.

(Not sure how logn posts can be, so posting this)

Last edited by Rom; 22-04-2009 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Cross Post...
Rom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rom For This Useful Post:
Leopold (25-10-2009)
Old 22-04-2009, 08:46 PM   #2
Rom
Washmitt Meister

Ive not had the cd of pics from the bodyshop yet, so these are just the tidbits i have from vistis and emails.

This was the drivers side, which was by far the worst.

In the oven..

Jason at JB Autos done a awesome job. He cut out the rusted sections by the 3/4, and put in replacement sections. The part needed doesnt seem to come with anything but the shell, so it was a case or cutting up a donor shell !
Heres the driver side again, once finished...

There was bonnet pins here once ! I did think about getting another bonnet, but the vents have kind of grown on me. The panel in the middle is a water feature lol . Stops rain filling up the plug holes and mis firing. A lot nicer than the makes*it one i had made. I did try sealign the plug cover, but it never took.

Old 22-04-2009, 08:48 PM   #3
Rom
Washmitt Meister

This is what happens when you leave a freshly painted next to the smart repair guy at work. Even though he swears he will tell you if hes going to paint (we were quiet at work)

Luckily, it clayed of fine.

I was really pleased with the amount of work he put in. All the panels were sprayed off the car, and the finish on parts youll never see is as good as everywhere else.

The mess i had to sort out

I removed all the dodgy wiring from over the years, soldered anything with connectors on, any breaks etc. Packed a lot of the dash out with felt / foam to reduce vibrations etc.
While it was out, i sorted all the wiring for the new heated front screen. Just generally tidied it all up.

Then i decided that it was a shame to have tatty wheel arches with such lovely paint, so off i went, white stone chip, but it turned pinkish. So i eneded up spraying over it with the body colour, which is Nissan QM1. Then laquered to give it some protection

While the car was away, id been rebolstering the front seats, and swapping covers to some better condition ones. Along with a thorough wet wash of the seats and carpet.

Old 22-04-2009, 08:49 PM   #4
Rom
Washmitt Meister

After i done that, i figured i cant leave the underneath in the state it was in..

Pre engine swap pic, but certainly hadnt gotten any cleaner !

So, off came the brake lines, which were being replaced anyway, the fuel lines, fuel tank, rear beam, exhaust, gear rods etc.
A lunch time with a pressure washer, got me some very dodgy looks by the other techs at work ! Some wire brushing, and we were ready for some stone chip.
I learnt my lesson this time, and got some in a shultz type can, it came out fine, so didnt need to overpaint it.

I bought some Speedline wheels, used by the Peugeot Sport cars, pics of these another time. And rear beam from a 309 Gti, these are wider, and stiffer. The beam was stripped, but the tube was fubar, so after finding a donor, it all went off for powder coating.
The wheels went off to be liquid and shot (of some sort) blasted, ive not seen the wheels since, and there yet to be painted.

Old 22-04-2009, 08:50 PM   #5
Rom
Washmitt Meister

Todays lunch time, I soldered the wiring for the central locking, and the feeds from the alarm to the motors. Routed the NS door pin switch, which i somehow managed to bunch up above the glove box . Took me a while to find it lol.
The alarm is workign as intended once again, the boot motor is working after some faffing around. But has no lock in yet anyway.

Also got most of the amp wired back up, so the parcel shelf can go in, and the seats can be folded up etc tommorrow.
Passenger seat is 95% done, just got 8 hog rings left, that hold the leather to the base, the bits for the bolsters. They wrap under the seat, before the subframe goes on. So that should go in tommorrow aswell.

Few pics of the engine bay / front from today.

Its going back to the bodyshop on the 21st, to have the bodykit refitted, bumpers, all the trims etc. So got a bit more to do this weekend before it goes.
Old 22-04-2009, 08:51 PM   #6
Rom
Washmitt Meister

Right, heres a badge ive been making, think it freshes up the look, without being too much.

Couple of shots of the engine bay from underneath.

Would have liked to get the subframe powder coated, but judging on how long they took to do the beam, ill need to buy a spare.

Got the exhaust on, actully, theres a plan ! A new exhaust, this came on the car, sounds fine, just the backbox is huge !

Rear beam is finished now, added the cable brackets today, and the blanking plugs. Need to find a neater way to hold the handbrake cable i think.
Discs look a bit crappy, been sat around since december.

Bit hard to make out, but i added some clear sticky platic to the slam panel. Ive only closed it a couple of times, and noticed the release lever was marking it. Hopefully this will stop it.

Probably one of my favourite things is where i relocated the led for the alarm too. Doubt anyone else has one here, as you have to remove the entire dash to get to it. It used to be down near the ignition barrell, i wanted it somewhere it could be seen easier.

Tidied the washer tubing up. Will do for now, will keep an eye out for some nicer lookign clips or something. Not sure how the original ones are held in, as mine was always cable tied.

Heres my handbrake trim i repaired. Has a big crack in it, and used to get caught everytime you applied the handbrake.
You can see its been fixed if you look close, the texture isnt quite right, but its not bad, and you cant hardly see it when its in the car.

Got a few bits of trim inside done, finished wiring the stereo up too. Done up the remaining bolts id left, rear bearings, droplinks, shock etc. Run it up, checking for leaks, couple of very small coolant drips, from the same pipes that always drip when i put the engine back in ! 2 pipes just seem to be a mare to seal properly, should be ok now though after some tweaking.
Drove it round the car park a bit, all seems ok. Doubt im going to go in tommorrow, as its good enough to drive. So just get the trade plates on it tuesday after work and off it goes ! Will be the first time on the road since decemeber, other than on a trailer.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rom For This Useful Post:
"SkY" (16-11-2010), HAWKEY_SKYLINE (25-05-2009), mattm (22-04-2009)
Old 22-04-2009, 08:52 PM   #7
M3_GT
PC Perfectionist

Garage
Awesome Pug mate.
M3_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2009, 08:58 PM   #8
rockape
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
mate, that is gorgeos.cant wait for the finished pics
rockape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2009, 08:59 PM   #9
mattm
Orbital Oracle

Really interesting thread mate. I'm a big fan of the 205 GTi. One this clean with an Mi16 engine in it is very impressive.
mattm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2009, 09:47 PM   #10
woodybeefcake
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
Very nice mate, can't wait to see it finished!,
woodybeefcake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to woodybeefcake For This Useful Post:
Ramigojag (14-08-2013)