Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 25-04-2011, 10:17 AM   #1
Rom
Washmitt Meister

Honda CRX SiR Restoration - Pic Heavy

Ill start off with a little about me, and the car.

Ive been absent a while, my last project was http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=114453

Sadly it got written off in March 2010, rear ended by a Vectra.
For almost a year, i trundled around in a 306 HDi DTurbo. Was a bit of a shed, i was trying to resist buying a car and throwing money at it.

Finally in Feb 2011 i gave in, and bought another project.

Enter my 1991 Honda CRX SiR Glassroof.
Imported in 2005, with one owner until i bought it. Came in with 85k km, currently has 106k km.
I have all the import paperwork, every MOT, a fair few reciepts for work etc.

Pretty well specced with

Specced as follows

Power Folding Mirrors
Electric Windows
Power Steering
No ALB
No LSD
Glass Roof
Wantanbe F8Fs
5Ziegen Cat Back
Ohlins Suspension

Most of this is going to be copied from CRX-UK, so hopefully all works. Obviously some of it wont make sense, names, timeline etc.

Heres a couple of the for sale ad pics, pretty small im afraid

Wasnt as tidy bodywork wise as i hoped,I was kind of hoping i could repair the rusty OSF wing, OSR scratch, and have any dents pulled out, mop it and be done.

This wasnt the case, but the arches were solid, there was no visable rust elsewhere, i took my mate who is a Quality Controller (was painter before) for Hondas main bodywork/import/handling centre in Portbury Docks. He went over it pretty well, im a Tech for Toyota, so between us we pretty much had everything covered :wink:
I decided, with the low mileage, short time in the UK, history documents, general rust free condition, and low owners it was worth some haggling.

Sadly the OSF wing has been badly repaired, and rusted behind the filler. Theres a pin hole where its rotted through, so gonna get another wing, as doesnt feel thick enough to even think about repairing.

The OSR 'scratch' is a scrape, with a little dent.

Theres your average dinks mostly in the doors. The worst dent is on the NSF wing, coupled with a scratch. Not very sharp or deep, definately worth repairing. Hard to show...

The Bonnet has a couple of big scratches, one looks like a semi draw dick!

Last edited by Rom; 25-04-2011 at 10:42 AM.
Rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2011, 10:19 AM   #2
Rom
Washmitt Meister

The front bumper has a patch of flaked paint, lip has some scrapes, and small crack.

My mate said after you paint the osr, osf, nsf, bonnet, front bumper, may aswell paint the whole thing! Which made sense, as the glass roof and tailgate glass eliminate a lot of body surface.
Is a shame as it doesnt look that bad really.

Not too sure about the rear mirror tints. Any info about these ? Assuming they might be a pre import thing.

Also the tailgate top moulding has peeled. Metal under the covering looks pretty nice, so deciding if ill recover it, or strip it and polish it. Might be a nice little touch, or look vile...

Another thing im thinking is maybe filling the aerial hole. And mounting a newer bee sting style aerial in the centre above the screen.
The aerial cable on the radio end is missing, anyway, and im not overlly fond of the original aerial.
Proabaly been done before, any thoughts ?

Looks like it had wind deflectors at some point, as some clips remain.
Think theres some trim missing in the below pic aswell, from the quater window. something like the trim on the door id guess.

Engine bay is pretty tidy and standard. Needs a good clean, going to redo all the power and earth cables, as a lot are split etc.
Remove the lovely Robo alarm thing.
Has a small oil leak, from what i suspect is the cam seals, but its not bad, more accumilated oil seepage over time.
Mechanically im not worried about it right now, as its got a fresh MOT, runs fine, and nothing major has popped out when i had it on the ramp. I want to concentrate on the body, and interior bits while its stripped. As work wont let me keep it there forever So need to get it back driveable, then i can fix niggly bits and bobs as i go.

Interior is, shall we say, shabby. Apparently the previous owner had a Floor Mat allergy. The carpet has worn right through, looks like it never had a heal pad?

The drivers seat is a Bride fixed back bucket. Which frankly is fubar'd. Even if it wasnt, its too small for my fat ass. Ive sat n more comfortable park benches. Both sides are practically cover and bolster free.
The drive back from Cardiff wasnt the most comfortable of journeys !

But thanks to 'redcup', i already have a temporary replacement VT seat. A guy at work has a pair of EP3 Type R seats, which im hoping we can have a deal on. So ill use the VT and SiR rails for the conversion. Though ive since found out the VT and SiR rails are different... At least the location of the slide handle. Assuming thats all, ill use them, wont know till i have a proper look.

Drivers door card is a bit worse for wear, looks like somthing has been stuck to the cord. Ill have a go at sorting it, but not holding my breath.
Noticed a little window thing below the speakers, which after removing found out is for some very tasteful Neons! Sadly they dont work
So may eventually replace both cards anyway.

Has some Defi rev counter sat on the cowling, so you cant see the speedo, but i can see 2 rev gauges! Has a controller unit tucked down in the footwell.
Had a little play with it, recording info etc, but not something ill really use.

The rear seats were listed as ripped, but i think i can save them. Long term ill probably ditch them anyway, but for now i want it looking tidy atleast.
The backrest cover bottom is no longer secured, so its slidup to reveal foam. But hopefully i can resecure it so it looks ok, not like anyone will be in them.

Old 25-04-2011, 10:21 AM   #3
Rom
Washmitt Meister

The Climate Control panel is cracked, which ive found is pretty common.
Ive removed it, going to try and platic weld it back together, the front panel cover upper is cracked, but shouldnt be noticable once glued.
The actual control unit is split in 2, where the temp dial is. Also the little mechanism for the pop up door is broken, so the door almost takes your finger off as it opens It seems to all be there, so again, another repair hopefully.

I did read about possible control swaps, but havent seen any for full climate control, ie no cable at all. Only standard and AC panels. So wouldnt even know where to start looking. Plus a lot of fafing around with the wiring...

Not quite sure how i didnt notice the rear parcel shelf was missing until the day after i bought it!

Drivers door drops considerably when opened, not sure if its just the hinge pin, or the actual hinge aswell thats worn. Doors coming off for paint anyway, so ill fix then.

Wipers need a refurb. Done my 205 ones with Satin black. Thought about powder coating, but guessing the coating incresae in size would make fitting wipers hard.

So first work ive really started doing is getting it stripped so it can be prepped for paint.
Started with the sill covers to see what surprises may lurk..

A little scabbing on the drivers side, didnt go through when attacked with a pick. Guessing where the water gets trapped under the cover, on the almost flat sill, and sits.
When it comes to refitting, i 'may' consider making a small rubber seal so the water cant (as easily) get under there.

Passenger side has a small (not in pic) scab at the rear, as the sill curves under the car. This has gone through when poked. Maybe about 50p size by the time i got to solid metal again. Can see the inner arch/sill skin. Which hasnt rusted and is solid.
Plan is most likely cut out the section until its all fresh metal, clean up, dynax through the hole, and repair the sill. The size of it doesnt really warrant a new sill.

Next was removing the bumpers, as im probably going to stone chip behind them. And want them off for painting anyway. After seeing the state of my 205 behind the front one, ive a new found appreciation for stone chipping front panels!

Old 25-04-2011, 10:22 AM   #4
Rom
Washmitt Meister

Next up i started to strip the interior out, as the carpets needs changing.
Plus i wanted to see inside the rear arches, maybe a little sound deadening, nothing crazy, just to stiffen up the panels.
Then dynax inside the doors, rear quarters etc.

Floors solid. Some minor surface rust near spare wheel well from the leaky rear light clusters.

Inside the arches looks good, no rust on inners or outers, and looks like its been waxoiled at some point, though not aswell as it could be.

Thats pretty much it for now, got a work piss up this afternoon, and gfs birthday tommorrow. So not gonna get anything done really. Though am popping to work to meet my mate, going over the bodywork, marking what i cant touch so i can start prepping it. Leaving all the dents to him, ill sort the sill, and hopefully most of the prep. With him to do the final steps etc.

Whilst i find a carpet, going to rip the stereo cabling etc out of the 306, run speaker wiring, amp wiring etc.
Also cabling for central locking, which i was amazed to find out it didnt have!

Going to get a Toad as ive always had them, only decision is whether i fit it, and dont get a certificate. Or i pay the extra, and its certified Cat 1. Normally i have them fitted, but seeing some guys are paying sub 200 for CRX's on classic policies, not sure it would make much odds ?

Also modding rear speaker holes for 6x9s, not important, but i can do that whilst working :wink: Cant really get away with flating down a car in work time though!

So far not bad for a few lunchtimes worth of work.
Old 25-04-2011, 10:23 AM   #5
Rom
Washmitt Meister

Not the most productive of lunch times today.

Managed to get the rear lights, spoiler and wiper off

Then the osf wing, should have a replacement late this week.

Had a quick go at door rub strips, but needs a patient delicate touch, so I'll maybe do them tonight.
Same with the rear quarter seals, shrunken and brittle, quickly resided to the fact I'll need new ones.
The rear clip is giving me some grief! Sure it's easy once you done one.

So anyone know of these are genuine Wantanbes from this pic?

Old 25-04-2011, 10:25 AM   #6
Rom
Washmitt Meister

Got the doors removed.

Turns out the drivers hinge has worn, not just the pin

Gave the bonnet and ns wing a quick DA. The bits left are what my mate ringed, for me to leave alone.
Not done this before so unsure if its good enough, wont know till he comes up at the weekend.
But gonna do rest of the car the same for now. Done more to see how long it takes, as needs to all be done for the weekend.

Plated the hole in the ns sill today aswell. Havent welded for a long time, but wasnt too bad. Athough the welder wasnt great. Had to sell mine when i moved to Bristol (rented house share, no storage) But its all i could borrow without taking the car to the welder.
Being where it is, not visable, and being super paranoid about water ingress, recurring rust. I decided to wipe over it with sealer too, incase i left any pinholes.
Basically ground back until i had plenty of fresh metal, cut a plate to the right size, welded it in, then ground back the welds. As i had intended to skim it after etc.
Plate ended up being about 1" x 2", but the sealer is smeared a lot bigger.

Bit of a random work routine the next ones, but if works quiet, i do odds and ends between jobs etc. So cant be working on the car itself, but can do anything small enough to be in my box
:wink:

Cue the drivers door mirror. For some reason, the loom had been cut, just where the little trim should be (mines missing). Also the glass, and mirror itself were very loose and wobbly.
Thankfully the glass wasnt cliped into the motor properly, and theres a screw missing from the base, the other 2 were loose. So not looking like a new mirror as i first feared.
Though i havent tested it yet, ill look up in the manual to see if it shows the pin outs.

Now i know this next thing is utter cheapskate. But i really am skint atm!
So, my climate control panel is broken...shock horror! But im just gonna temp fix, bodge it. A little piece of me was dying with each step.

Firstly i fixed the temp door, as the cog which ensures it doesnt fly open was broken, along with the end casing which secures it.

Then i set about re attaching this, slightly broken piece...

No small feat! Had planned on plastic welding, but it wouldnt be strong enough, theres just not enough places to support it.
Ill wait until i see hows its all dried in the morning, but should last me a while i hope.

Last one, is an on going task. Mounting 6x9s in the rear mounts. Not gonna look pretty, but the grille comes to the rescue there.
Ive decided to mount them to the support bracket, that the side panel attaches to, rather than the side panel.
Have the temp secured, plan is to fibreglass up the gaps so it has some semblance of an enclosure.
These speakers are old school 4 ways! Reckon ive had them close to 10 years! They sound rubbish unless used with a sub. So enclosing them isnt that important, seeing as they dont play any bass.

Jake, heres the plates from my back box and pipe from centre to backbox. The centre plate is all scuffed up

Oh, thats another little job i did today actually. The centre silencer rear end plate has split like 75% of the way round. Due to scrapping/impact force.
So i welded this up, not sure how long it will last, but will do me for now.

Anyone know what 5Ziegen exhausts are made of ? I cant make up my mind, it could be a low grade stainless, coated or painted. But even with mild steel wire and Argon/CO2 it welded pretty good. Considering i couldnt really get in the to clean it up, other than a little wire brush up.
Old 25-04-2011, 10:25 AM   #7
Rom
Washmitt Meister

Yesterday i refitted the centre exhaust after welding it up.

Also put some dynamat type sound deadening on the rear quarters. More for panel flex / solidness than actual sound proofing. I was told years ago it can help stop dents too. But who knows

Then gave the rear inner arches a liberal coating of Dynax S50. Also done the sills, with the car on the ramp, chassis legs etc. Came back this morning and were little patches where it had dripped out in places. So think I used plenty lol.

The Climate control panel has been successfully bodged! The repair is strong enough to hold the weight of the panel.

Isn't that pretty, i had intended to fill the crack with liquid filler, almost like superglue stuff. Then sand, and spray the whole thing with textured dash repair spray.
But once instarted inspecting it, was clear it's not worth the effort. 1 mount hole is gone, other are mediocre.
The lip to the panel is broken in a few places etc. So this will suffice for now, until i have funds to find a better one.

The speaker pods are fibreglassed up. Not amazing, but they the gaps are now filled, and speakers mount securely without massive air loss around the cone basket.

That pretty much concludes yesterday's activities! Other than cleaning a lot of interior panels. Using Meguiars APC, mixed about 5:1. The panels were really grubby, dusty, so cleaned inside and out.
Still got a load more to do...
Old 25-04-2011, 10:26 AM   #8
Rom
Washmitt Meister

Ive not made enclousures no.

Im sure they will sound good, as they play no base, which is what you really need the enclosure for. Normally they would use the boot space.
I just didnt like the idea of having huge gaps all the way around them.

They look a but crap from underneath, but from the top they look ok.
I originally was trying to get them to mount like the originals, but gave in and decided it was a lot easier to fit them to the supports.

My stereo sounds rubbish if you turn the sub off. I use the 6x9s purely for rear fill. I run components up front normally.
Though im not entirely sure my sub will fit in the rex with a parcel shelf in.

After realising, via Ash's thread, that the quarter seals cant be replaced without removing glass. I cut out the driver side at lunch. Ill do other tom.
Must admit, its a crap design, cant see why the seal has the clipped like it is.

Noticed what looks like overspray of some sort.
Centre console had white flecks over the radio area, and the pocket infron of gear stick.
And the gaiter was covered in metallic green ?!
Spent a while with some Gun Wash, got most of it off, but hard getting it out of the grain even with a brush.

Old 25-04-2011, 10:27 AM   #9
Rom
Washmitt Meister

Got the passenger quarter window out, a lot easier, half way through i opened the wrong drawer in my toolbox. And found a selection of cutters, ones like a sharp hook, which made it a lot easier lol.

Friday night i sanded the rest of the car. Blocked it all with 400.
Also a side job, i prepped a 306 bonnet, which has been painted, then scratched. So scotched it ready for a tocuh up and re laquer.
Not that i want to spend any time on it, but need to sell my 306 so needs must.

Popped in saturday for a bit, mainly to strip the 306 of stereo, amp, wiring, bluetooth etc etc.
Sometimes i wish i could do things badly! Ended up removing all seats so i could remove the cabling. Seemed such a good idea putting it in when i was changing the carpet lol.

Today was the first real progress on the bodywork. My mate started filling the dents.

I plated the aerial hole, which was then filled

For some reason ive taken no pics of the ns :?. Ill get some tom, wing is all done, rear quarter needs blocking down. NSR was the worst, has a fairly large skim of filler. But its not very deep, panel was just pretty rippled.

Heres some pics of it all blocked down ready for 2k high build primer.

Edge lines for the arches are nice, look and feel the same as non repaired bits. Theres a little aerosol primer on the osr arch. He used this as a guide line, sanded the upper primer off, so it left just the primer on the lip. So he could see if its the same height/thickness whatever you want to call it, all the way along the lip.
Also used this on the nsf wing, so the light catches it and see how straight it is, the line that runs the wing.
Ran out of time so decided to give all the patches a can primer, just incase cover gets loose, as it will have to be outside in the day.

Whilst he was busy, i was scotching the door apetures, sills, boot floor etc. Not going crazy with the boot, but has some surface rust marks from water leaks + rubbing jack etc.
Also drilled the new aerial hole. Being totally honest, im hoping it will grow on me! Hoping its just the fact ive never seen a crx with one!
Nothing thats irreversable though.
Also fed the amp cable through, went for the drivers side, main loom grommet. Bit fiddly, but got there in the end.

Plans are primer it tuesday night, and get the bloody 306 bonnet painted so i can get it up for sale!
Then hopefully next weekend, get the shell and bonnet painted. And skim the doors and hopefully the replacement wing when it arrives.

I want the shell ready asap, so i can start putting it together again. Work havent said anything yet, i just have fears of them saying move it now.
Old 25-04-2011, 10:27 AM   #10
Rom
Washmitt Meister

Ok, heres the NS..

As i said, looks an awful lot of filler, but it really isnt that thick. Was just skimmed as the NS was the worst on the car, lots of little dents, ripples all close together.

Didnt do much monday, messed around with some battery tray ideas. As i dont want to relocate it, but do want a bigger battery.
Ill be swapping to standard size terminals and running something with a bit more juice.

This evening the shell saw its first proper primer. Using 2k high build.
Masked up in the booth ready to go

After 2 coats

Mate said theres really no point primering everything, unless its scratched, or repaired. Being high build its more to cover up. And as its staying the same colour.

After that dried off, finally got the 306 bonnet done

Will get it on and polished this week, or saturday more likely.

Was hoping shell would see paint Sunday, but probably not. Gonna take a while to flat the primer down. So most likely prep the doors, as there pretty rippled. Then paint the shell and doors next weekend.

Still got to prep bumpers and trims, but trying to concentrate on getting the shell done so i can start to re build it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rom For This Useful Post:
Jordan (30-04-2011)