Detailing World

Detailing World (http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Pre-wash stages, Washing, Drying, Clay & 'Quick Detailing' (http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Tested a B&Q grout sponge....very surprised (http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=52555)

Bigpikle 21-12-2007 04:49 PM

Tested a B&Q grout sponge....very surprised

Like many, I read a lot over at Autopia, and one thing I keep seeing is references to grout sponges as excellent wash tools. I was in B&Q today so I thought I'd try it myself :rolleyes:

For the princely sum of 1.48 I picked up a large B&Q Tile Sponge :thumb: These are a little strange as they are a medium weight sponge, NOTHING LIKE a standard car sponge from Halfrauds etc. It has a natural look and feel with lots of pores of various sizes and is pretty soft and the picture shows the size relative to a standard grit guard, as well as the texture a little. I say again, these ARE NOTHING LIKE A LIGHT FOAM CAR SPONGE.

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/j...g/IMG_2822.jpg

I was VERY dubious about trying a sponge again, after all the brainwashing here, but dozens and dozens of satisfied Autopians convinced me to give it a try.

I foamed the car twice, being extra paranoid and wanting to get as much off as possible and then loaded up with the TBM using Duragloss 901, which I knew to be very lubricating, for minimising the risk of marring etc. The car was still absolutely filthy and covered in a lovely layer of winter road grime...

I gave the car a cautious wash, rinsing the sponge frequently and checking constantly for grit and crap on the surface of the sponge. Surprisingly I found that while the sponge became discoloured after wiping a filthy piece of paintwork, I never saw a single piece of grit or muck on the surface. The sponge rinsed COMPLETELY clean in the rinse bucket just with a simple brush against the grit guard and came out spotless each time, with far less effort than my wool mitts. :D The car was absolutely filthy as well, and the rinse bucket water was black after I finished, with lots of grit and crap in the bottom. Somehow the sponge had transferred a LOT of dirt to the bucket without me ever seeing any on the surface of the sponge :doublesho After i finished I rinsed it in the sink and some soapy suds came out, but there was no muck stuck inside it. I inspected it thoroughly and it was perfectly clean and as new :)

I rinsed and dried as normal, using L-T and my CG towels and then inspected with the Brinkman, half expecting marring or marks. 3 days ago I polished the wing with the UDM and Megs #80 to a 100% defect free finish and waxed it, and I thoroughly checked it over with the Brinkman and couldn't find a single mark :thumb:

So in summary, I found:

1. this sponge didnt keep dirt and grit on the surface
2. rinsed very easily in a bucket and came out spotless each time
3. didnt leave a single mark on freshly machined paint

I know I am going to see a long line of posts saying how a sponge has to be worse than a mitt etc, but I was VERY surprised at what i found, so would suggest you give it a try if you havent already and test it for your self ;)

Finerdetails 21-12-2007 04:58 PM

looks like a good soundw review to me. You will prob see a few members try your idea and report back soon

bullit 21-12-2007 05:00 PM

interesting

Bigpikle 21-12-2007 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Finerdetails (Post 609881)
looks like a good soundw review to me. You will prob see a few members try your idea and report back soon

hope so....

Trying to work out if I like it more or less than a mitt TBH. It is certainly much cheaper, and I didnt get any sponge breaking off over the edges of the bumpers, grills etc, so it looks like it will last very well.

I kind of like the feel of using sheepskin mitt, but this is MUCH easier to rinse in the bucket and afterwards and doesnt need all the hassle of drying etc afterwards.

I just found it strange how so much dirt seemed to be transferred into the rinse bucket, yet the sponge surface never got very dirty. The wash bucket stayed clean all the time so it clearly releases dirt exceptionally well :thumb:

For those interested, here is the Autopia thread that go me thinking in the first place.

pete330 21-12-2007 05:17 PM

Very Interesting

BTW i use a Z Sponge,so will dfo be trying this

Bigpikle 21-12-2007 05:21 PM

never seen a Z sponge so have no idea how this might compare - if you get one then post some pics and let us know.

The sponge isnt on the website, but is stcked loose in the tiling section. It is not wrapped and has a green B&Q band around it. Barcode number is 05123704 and it actually came up at 1.48 when i just checked the receipt :D

Chris_4536 22-12-2007 03:23 PM

So you foamed twice and the car was still 'filthy'?! Did you put any SSF in the lance?!

Phil H 22-12-2007 05:02 PM

impressive!

Neil_S 22-12-2007 05:11 PM

The larger pore size would suggest that grit may sink into the sponge rather than stay on the surface so this would be beneficial, getting towards a pore size as found in a natural sea sponge, not bad for the money.

Still not a fan of sponges though, happy with a mitt.

Trist 22-12-2007 05:20 PM

Interesting review. If it comes up clean after every wash like Z sponges then its a definite hit :thumb: