Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Lifestyle > The Home and Garden Zone
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Home and Garden Zone All about the Home - including alternative uses for cleaning products ... and all about the Garden

Old 08-07-2021, 04:42 PM   #1
Shiny
DW Forum Sponsor

Thanked 3,638 Times in 2,266 Posts
Garage
Smile New Patio - aka The Cat's Patio

There's been a few patio threads recently, so i thought i'd add mine.

We've an old end terrace house with a garage at the end of the garden. I built a patio outside the back door when we moved in and the rest has pretty much been grass for the kids.

We had a new garden wall last year as the the old one was falling down (needs repainting due to the salts coming through but i'll d that next year) and the kids have grown up so don't play in the garden any more. We lose the sun in the evening on the patio but the garage gets a couple more hours and, with all the time we spent in the garden last yeat year, i wanted to make use of the space at the end.

I had a vision of a patio, pergola, corner sofa all mapped out in my head, but was worried the reality may not be my perception.

Anyhow, pictures, how it was at the start of the year -

Just in front of the gravel is a blosson tree we wanted to keep, so removed a couple of bushes nearer the house and moved the tree (that was a task, but thankfully it survived!). Our current patio with the moved blossom tree in bloom (first tree on the lawn)

I cleared everything out and swapped the 4' fence panels for a couple of 5' (6' with the base) for a bit of privacy

My mate is a groundworker and offered to help (or rather do all the work and i hand him things) and when i said i want the patio level with the garage floor to save all the digging out he was very pleased. So weed sheet down, weed killer round the edges and made use of the original gravel i had.

The the goodies arrived over the wall...

Hardcore down, flattened with a whacker plate, and slight miscalculation meant we were left with nearly 3/4 ton bag of hardcore!

The bag of sand came in handy though...

The next dry weekend, the plan of action was stuck to the fence and the patio went down, laid in a day, minus the last row.

Next dry weekend we dug a trench for the retaining wall, put some footing down which went off quick, meaning we could finish off the last row of slabs.

Patio slabs all down.

Used the ready mix pointing sand on the slabs which made life a lot easier. We bought a pergola which just about fit in the garden, not realising the clearance height underneath was 5'11", so no good for my 6' lad, or the garage door. Bought some 8' fence posts for the uprights and trimmed them down to the desired height and it was spot on. The cat liked her new climbing frame. Filled the edges with some grey slate.

Yup, it's tacky, but after the year we've all had, i think it is needed

AWBS agreed to collect the left over hardcore, so we were able to clear out the garden (my grass has taken a beating but it has recovered massively since this picture and with the aid of some patch seeds). Ordered a PU sun shade from Ali Express which we had to modify by folding and glueing the edges and adding extra eyelets, but we now also have a removable sun shade. New slabs into lawn. Furniture in (with waterproof cover) and plants in situ.

Really chuffed how it turned out and it is just how i wanted it. We now spend more time down on the patio sofa than we do in the living room. Put a wifi extender in the garage and even my youngest lad spends time with us down there.

Still go some electrics to do (outside sockets, wall lights), but we've gained an extra room for the fraction of the cost of an extension, so well chuffed in all.

Oh, and remeber the cat from earlier, this is why it has become "her patio"...

<a href=https://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6871&dateline=1611939323 target=_blank>https://www.detailingworld.co.uk/for...ine=1611939323</a>

Shiny is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Shiny For This Useful Post:
AndyQash (08-07-2021), Coatings (15-07-2021), Juke_Fan (09-07-2021), LostVulpine (08-07-2021), slim_boy_fat (08-07-2021), Starbuck88 (15-07-2021), SteveTDCi (08-07-2021), SunnyBoi (16-07-2021)
Old 08-07-2021, 04:57 PM   #2
AndyQash
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
Looks great and a job well done.

The kitty looks well pleased with her new lounging area, she looks very comfy on that pillow.
AndyQash is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyQash For This Useful Post:
Shiny (08-07-2021)
Old 08-07-2021, 06:33 PM   #3
ikon66
PC Perfectionist

That’s the cat’s whiskers
ikon66 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ikon66 For This Useful Post:
AndyQash (08-07-2021), Shiny (08-07-2021), slim_boy_fat (08-07-2021)
Old 08-07-2021, 06:34 PM   #4
WHIZZER
T-Cut King (admin)

Thanked 20,798 Times in 7,580 Posts
Garage
top job looks great
Old 08-07-2021, 07:40 PM   #5
President Swirl

Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,340 Posts
Nice one. That loose scrabble box would be a cause for consonant worry. What's the word on the patio? It looks like your furry friend is letting out a little vowel.
It's fair to save some for the others.
President Swirl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to President Swirl For This Useful Post:
Shiny (08-07-2021)
Old 08-07-2021, 07:51 PM   #6
pxr5

Garage
Looks great, thanks for sharing the pics.
pxr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pxr5 For This Useful Post:
Shiny (08-07-2021)
Old 09-07-2021, 04:04 PM   #7
kingswood

Thanked 1,094 Times in 650 Posts
Looks ace.

We’ve found we use our garden a lot more too now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kingswood is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kingswood For This Useful Post:
Shiny (09-07-2021)
Old 15-07-2021, 10:02 AM   #8
Starbuck88

Thanked 4,137 Times in 2,688 Posts
Garage
Looking great!

Lovely Acer and Blossoms you have! I've killed one Acer and now I'm onto another. This time places elsewhere to keep it out of direct sun and protect it from the rain. Still small in a pot so thinking of bringing this one in over the colder harsher months?
Starbuck88 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Starbuck88 For This Useful Post:
Shiny (15-07-2021)
Old 15-07-2021, 04:03 PM   #9
Shiny
DW Forum Sponsor

Thanked 3,638 Times in 2,266 Posts
Garage
Cheers. The Acer took a bashing when we moved it from the shelter of the garage to the bottom of the garden, the wind rain and sun didn;t do it any favours. We've repotted it and it is picking up now it is back up by the garage and has the shade of the wall. We always have good intentions of putting it in the garage over winter, but it never happens

Thinking about getting a Lavender Twist Redbud for the front left hand side of the new patio, only grows to 5ft, so will be ideal. https://www.ornamental-trees.co.uk/c...wist-tree-p661

I have to keep an eye on the trees that go along the fence, one of them is a Beech tree, we were told it is was something else (a dwarf tree) when we bought it, but i've managed to keep it at six feet for a few years now.

We've planted a new minature weeping willow in the soil by the old patio, you can just see it next to the owl and pig. We had one there that grew to about 6 ft and it was lovely. Long story, but our lovely neighbour sprayed it with weedkiller which killed it, and our pet rabbit.

The grass is coming on a treat, a mixture of patch repair and new shade friendly grass. Gave it a high cut last weekend and it is looking really good, especially considering the mess it was in after the work was finished.

<a href=https://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6871&dateline=1611939323 target=_blank>https://www.detailingworld.co.uk/for...ine=1611939323</a>

Shiny is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shiny For This Useful Post:
Starbuck88 (15-07-2021)
Old 15-07-2021, 04:51 PM   #10
Starbuck88

Thanked 4,137 Times in 2,688 Posts
Garage
I really like ornamental trees, I know you're a Japanese fan so it's not surprising to see these things in your Garden.

What a criminal thing to do to your previous weeping willow and rabbit

Do you have any Bonsai trees indoors?
Starbuck88 is offline   Reply With Quote