Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Pre-wash stages, Washing, Drying, Clay & 'Quick Detailing'
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pre-wash stages, Washing, Drying, Clay & 'Quick Detailing' Discuss All your prewash stages- washing, claying, pre rinse , claying and drying

Old 10-05-2008, 11:11 PM   #1
Epoch
Distinguished Detailer

Bilt Hamber Auto Foam

Following on from my testing of a new Snow Foam (HERE), another new foam product i'd been interested in (after trying a few of their other products) was the Bilt Hamber Auto Foam.

Al from Bilt Hamber had asked if i would do the same test on their new product, and i therefore became the proud owner of a sample to compare.

So here is the test

After a few PM and emails to Pete the chemist at Bilt-Hamber, I learn't the correct method of application for this product was at a mix ratio of 4% at the car. However, initially i had agreed to carry out the test exactly the same as the previous post. I did have a play with more like the correct mix later in this post

So the same 100ml to 1000ml of warm water was added to the Foam lance

The car hadn't been washed since the last test a few weeks ago, and was mainly showing signs of the recent rain and sand-like water marks.

So not too bad but a fair test.

Let the foaming commence, the mix ratio gauge was set to number 3 again.

Pete had already said to me that the product doesn't foam up like the shaving foam type products and that the mechanical action of dirt removal was based on the foam solution bursting on contact with the surface, lifting the dirt.

A quick litmus test of the product resting on the car also showed it to have a fairly PH neutral reading

So after 5 mins the foam was all but gone

This remember, is at a far more diluted ratio than is recommend for use

A quick rinse and the car was remarkably clean

So although this was a weak solution it had cleaned the layer of accumulated mess. A thumbs up so far.

I had enough of a sample to try again at a 'closer to the recommended ratio', so why not

The foam lance was filled again with a mix of about 2 to 1 in the bottle. I was unable to find a mix ratio for the selector on the gun (so have emailed the manufacturer) but for the re-test just left it on number 3 again.

This time it was a lot more business as usual in the foam department, no pictures of application, I know not why! however after about 5 mins the car looked like this

After a pressure wash off, the car was clean. I have not seen an untouched car come up so clean, although this was a second foam session. It was so clean I gave it a check over and then proceeded to towel dry it without a mitt wash.
For anyone new to detailing, I would urge them NOT to ever do the same unless they are absolutely sure the car is spotless as this is a sure fire way to inflict swirls.

However here is a picture of the towel after I had dried the roof, windows, boot and bonnet.

I don't think, looking in the sun, i have inflicted any swirling to the car, but probably won't be doing the same again, it was just as i was so impressed at how clean the car was!

I hope to be air drying in the future so the touch-less wash is getting closer

Some observations

Until i can get the mix ratio for the gun (or spend an afternoon working it out) i can't calculate the correct ratio exactly so will have to retry again when i can.

I'm a great fan of the foam prewash as a step in the right direction for preventing wash inflicted damage.

The BH Auto foam may work out a little more expensive per use as the "at car" ratio is higher than I have previously used. When i can get the mix ratio for the gun i'll do a quick calculation per wash to find out how much each wash will cost.

The lack of thick foam on the car seems irrelevant in light of the fit for purpose design. The mechanical cleaning action of the BH Auto Foam makes it a great product and one that i will be investing in when my current supply runs out

Big thanks to Al and Pete, for all the info and believing in their product.

BH Auto Foam looks can be deceptive

Epoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 11:14 PM   #2
Exclusive Car Care
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 2,101 Times in 432 Posts
thanks for sharing Jon excellent stuff
Exclusive Car Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 11:15 PM   #3
Bigpikle
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 2,902 Times in 1,883 Posts
Jon - I am glad you found the same as me then

What LSP is on the Bimmer (Supernatural ??), as I havent yet had it clean enough to dry without a touch wash, although on light dirt it 'looks' good enough to dry I'm sure the LSP plays a significant part in the touchless wash effectiveness or not...

BH stuff I have tried so far is certainly the dogs
Bigpikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 11:31 PM   #4
Epoch
Distinguished Detailer

Cheers Jay and Damon

Yep Dodo Super Natural on there and bonnet is a mix. A fresh wax or sealant layer does help alot with getting things clean easily.

More BH on my hit list before the winter thats for sure

I'll not do the straight to towel dry again as i know it will all go wrong one day but it's shown me the true value of a proper pre wash
Old 11-05-2008, 03:03 PM   #5
JPW
Sponge Jockey

Can I ask where you got the foam lance from?

I am using the BH Autofoam with a Halfords Lance and Pressure Wash
Your picture:

Looks very similar to the results that I got initially (not after 5mins) - perhaps I need to alter the nix ratio (I cannot adjust the lance that I have).

Any advice is appreciated, although I still think that it did a reasonable job as you mention even without copious amounts of foam!

John
JPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 03:07 PM   #6
Bigpikle
Distinguished Detailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epoch View Post
Cheers Jay and Damon

Yep Dodo Super Natural on there and bonnet is a mix. A fresh wax or sealant layer does help alot with getting things clean easily.

More BH on my hit list before the winter thats for sure

I'll not do the straight to towel dry again as i know it will all go wrong one day but it's shown me the true value of a proper pre wash
great stuff
  • Surfex HD is a superb degreaser
  • Deox does miracles with rust
  • If you havent got Auto Balm yet then I think you might like it as something different for durability - its not Supernatural in looks but has a good gloss and protects very well
Old 11-05-2008, 03:47 PM   #7
ads2k
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,086 Times in 941 Posts
Nice post Jon

I used mine for the first time on Friday just chucked in about 300ml in my litre bottle on the lance and set to maximum and that gave me enough to foam the car twice and I must say it's been the best a shifting dirt I have seen from just a foaming.

Very impressed the mix may have been a bit strong but I will play with that until I get a good compromise.
ads2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 05:01 PM   #8
Epoch
Distinguished Detailer

Cheers all

4% at the car is quite high but it seems to do the job so well. You'll need to find the mix ration of the gun you want (neat in the gun if the ratio is about 25:1 if you get me). Otherwise it's a case of measure the bottle useage and output volume from the gun to find the ratio (one for a sunny afternoon)

Cleaned the mower today and it's started going a bit rusty so some Detox is the way forward on this me thinks.

I have some BH Auto Balm, which is going on the mower later, but have yet to use it.
Old 11-05-2008, 05:11 PM   #9
Bigpikle
Distinguished Detailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epoch View Post
I have some BH Auto Balm, which is going on the mower later, but have yet to use it.
sacrilege.... do you Vintage the toolbox

4% at the car is just a bit stronger than I used to use the AB SSF, but that never cleaned for ****, so I now have 4.99L sitting in my cupboard waiting for something to use it on
Old 11-05-2008, 05:15 PM   #10
Epoch
Distinguished Detailer

Zaino AIO on the toolbox (really )

Foam the house window's, brush wash, rinse then waterblade dry - jobs a good un