Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Waxes, Sealants & Paint Protection
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Waxes, Sealants & Paint Protection Sponsored by DODO JUICE Light Fantastic , Banana Armour, Orange Crush, Rainforest Rub, Purple Haze - www.dodojuice.com

Old 06-06-2008, 05:20 PM   #1
Bigpikle
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 2,904 Times in 1,883 Posts
Optimum Car Wax v2 - first impressions

Got hold of a bottle of OCW v2 from Ron at Motorgeek this week, which is something I've been keen to try for a while. I have had good success with Opti Seal and getting into Optimum No Rinse, so thought OCW might be a useful 'quick wax' product. It is a mix of carnauba and sealant, giving UV protection and lasting protection, so more than just a QD, so was kee to see if it added much to the finish as well....

I gave the Saab an ONR wash this afternoon, which is something that is working really well for me in the full sun and went around with the OCW.

First Impressions

This is a spray wax that is really just like using a QD. Just needs a light spray for an entire panel, perhaps 1 light squirt at the most for a wing or door etc, then a wipe with a MF to spread it around, and then buff with a clean dry MF. The Eurows were ideal being so soft and fluffy Its a milky white watery spray that spreads very easily and is a straight spray, spread, buff off process. I used it on a dry panel, but I'm told it can also be used on a wet panel, and buffed as part of the drying process. Next wash I plan to try it on a slightly damp panel when drying after the ONR wash, so will see how it works???

It reminded me a lot of Jeffs AJT in use, with it perhaps just disappearing into the paint slightly quicker than the AJT and maybe a touch quicker to use, but pretty close in the real world.

Results

This stuff is VERY easy and fast to use, exactly like a QD, but gives a really nice shine and a touch of extra wetness to the finish. It doesn't leave the slickest finish I've come across but there is no doubt to me that it ramps up the bling a little extra. The car was already looking great with multiple layers of Ultima PGP, but I could see a little extra gloss and depth of shine in the panels I had done Car is dark silver so changes o the look are pretty minor generally with all LSP's...

Care needs to be taken to use it in small amounts, as I found when the MF got a little wet with product it could stay on the surface a bit, and needed extra buffing, but by refolding the MF to a clean area the problem went away. If you drowned a panel in it then you'd probably be there forever trying to buff it off

Conclusion

No idea of durability, although Optimum claim up to 5 months, but as this is such a fast product to apply that hardly matters IMHO. I liked the extra bling and wetness it added to the finish, and knowing it adds protection that will last longer than the next rain, is a bonus. As it can be used over a wax or sealant finish it has a bit more versatility than a typical spray sealant like AJT, but otherwise is pretty similar really. I hope it will slot nicely into the ONR routine and replace a QD every few washes.

I'll keep using it for sure, and see if a few layers adds much more, but here are some quick pics in the slightly overcast light this afternoon, for what they are worth

Last edited by Bigpikle; 06-06-2008 at 05:30 PM.
Bigpikle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bigpikle For This Useful Post:
*MAGIC* (21-06-2008), DIESEL DAVE (14-07-2008), Finerdetails (07-06-2008), james_death (17-03-2011), KevJM (10-02-2009), Kris1986 (19-06-2008), VIPER (06-06-2008)
Old 06-06-2008, 05:49 PM   #2
DIESEL DAVE
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
I`ve just got some ONR and OCW for Motorgeek as well this week, tried both on my black Jag which already has on ZFX Z2.
Nice result, although I don`t think the finish looks any better than the result of the Gtechnig c3 I tried earlier, obviously too soon for durability to be compared.
The c3 and OCW sound similar to me both being polymer/carnuba, apart from being cheaper, could anybody give the differances ?
DIESEL DAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 06:20 PM   #3
Jaygo
PC Perfectionist

Well done Bigpikle.

I'm tempted to buy some when the QD is available.

The ease of application is worth an awful lot.

A good shake up sounds in order before application.
Jaygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 06:23 PM   #4
Bigpikle
Distinguished Detailer

havent seen Gtechniq C3, but a quick check on their site and it looks like similar stuff. I see the C3 is cheaper though.... I guess you need to see them side by side for a comparison as you have.

I have a sample of DG Aqua wax as well which is also very good, so will have to check those side by side, although AW is not going to last anythinmg like as well as OCW from what I've read.

Jaygo - I gave the OCW a good shake as I heard that as well, but make sure I shake everything TBH

Last edited by Bigpikle; 06-06-2008 at 06:26 PM.
Old 06-06-2008, 07:35 PM   #5
Dave KG
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 10,080 Times in 3,262 Posts
Very nice there, sounds like a lovely quick and easy product to use as a top up, or perhaps even as an LSP in its own right... though I reckon 5 months may be a little enthusiastic but you never know

How does it compare in looks added to Z8? Sounds like its pretty much the same in real world use terms... interested if the results are any different?
Dave KG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 07:47 PM   #6
Bigpikle
Distinguished Detailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave KG View Post
Very nice there, sounds like a lovely quick and easy product to use as a top up, or perhaps even as an LSP in its own right... though I reckon 5 months may be a little enthusiastic but you never know

How does it compare in looks added to Z8? Sounds like its pretty much the same in real world use terms... interested if the results are any different?
Dave - I've never seen or used any Zaino stuff at all so cant comment. I wouldnt describe the change in look as dramatically as many here describe what happens when they use Z8, so I'm going to suggest it might not be in quite the same league, but thats pure speculation. On the colour of the Saab I think its going to be hard for anything to make a huge stepchange in appearance. Bring the Z8 when you come down in July and we can see

If you were happy to use it regularly then I dont see why it couldnt be a LSP in its own right, as I guess you could do with Z8. I'm going to try it over Opti Seal on one of the cars (perhaps the MG as it sits in the garage 95% of the time, so a quick wipe over before a day out is ideal) and see how it does to keep the finish topped up, so will let you know.
Old 06-06-2008, 07:58 PM   #7
VIPER
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 6,926 Times in 3,583 Posts
Garage
Cheers for the review But a big 'Boooo' from me as this is now another product to go on my 'to try' list!

My ONR arrived yesterday but I've not had chance to try it yet.
VIPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 08:16 PM   #8
Dave KG
Distinguished Detailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigpikle View Post
Dave - I've never seen or used any Zaino stuff at all so cant comment. I wouldnt describe the change in look as dramatically as many here describe what happens when they use Z8, so I'm going to suggest it might not be in quite the same league, but thats pure speculation. On the colour of the Saab I think its going to be hard for anything to make a huge stepchange in appearance. Bring the Z8 when you come down in July and we can see

If you were happy to use it regularly then I dont see why it couldnt be a LSP in its own right, as I guess you could do with Z8. I'm going to try it over Opti Seal on one of the cars (perhaps the MG as it sits in the garage 95% of the time, so a quick wipe over before a day out is ideal) and see how it does to keep the finish topped up, so will let you know.
Having tinkered with OCW 1, I think the difference between OCW 2 and Z8 may be smaller than you think

We'll definitely try it in July, really looking forward to this meet by the way
Old 06-06-2008, 08:20 PM   #9
Bigpikle
Distinguished Detailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave KG View Post
Having tinkered with OCW 1, I think the difference between OCW 2 and Z8 may be smaller than you think

We'll definitely try it in July, really looking forward to this meet by the way
I've read the same about DG AW...that was VERY impressive on my first use last weekend on my DG detail
Old 06-06-2008, 08:23 PM   #10
Dave KG
Distinguished Detailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigpikle View Post
I've read the same about DG AW...that was VERY impressive on my first use last weekend on my DG detail
I have a rather complete sample kit of Duragloss, of which Aqua Wax is a part, I plan to do a full 50/50 on my dad's car to see how DG stands up against the mighty Zaino